Thursday, December 15, 2011

Thursday, Medical

Today we were back to the medical office to read the TB test and do the rest of the medical evaluation.  TB test was fine, so no lung x-ray needed.  Temperature, blood pressure, ENT all fine.  There were questions about her special need I couldn't answer but the physical exam (during which pants and socks were removed but not panties or shirt) provided my first opportunity to see some of my new daughter's skin, including her limb differences that have been hidden under shoes and socks all week.  I have to admit I wasn't prepared for how independent she is with self-care, nor how private.  I was expecting to fill the tub and help her into it.  I am prepared for behaviors younger than her chronological years and I mistakenly included helping her dress in that expectation.  But alas, she changes in the bathroom behind a closed door.  She handles her own shower and toileting.  So there haven't been opportunities to see what her legs and feet (which had surgery some time ago) actually look like.  And the drying off after a bath, lotion before pajamas that I envisioned as opportunities for bonding and attachment - not happening. I've been forcing 'cuddle time' every now and then just to create opportunities for physical contact.   So far she's still rigidly enduring it, but I hope that with time she'll eventually soften and ultimately seek the physical closeness.  She's also still saying next to nothing.  She responds to questions with a nod of the head - usually 'no'.  We've tried the translator, and she'll listen to what we 'say' via translation.  But she doesn't initiate any conversation.  I so get it - she's been with us just 5 days and pretty much doesn't understand a thing we say.  But I'd love to know when I can expect a bit more engagement on her part.  I don't want to push it, but I also don't want us to get 'stuck' in a pattern of behavior that is less than ideal.

After the medical visit we walked around Shamian Island.  We walked through the first and second floor of the White Swan, took our 'red couch' photos, dropped off our laundry and had a delicious lunch of dumplings and noodles high above Jordon's. 

Our official paperwork and appointments are now complete except for the US Consulate and US Visa next Thursday.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment