Sunday, April 10, 2011

Prayer, Fasting and Hearing God Speak

Linny over at A Place Called Simplicity invited readers to join in a day of prayer and fasting last Wednesday.  Luckily she provided a link to a "How to" guide on fasting, since this is an area I know nearly nothing about.  After reading and reading the Guide to Prayer and Fasting, I felt sufficiently educated to join her and the many others who were praying for the heart of a judge in Russia.  I am so glad I did!   It was an amazing day.  Part of it was just knowing I was a part of something bigger than myself.  But I also found it's true - fasting brought me closer to God.  But that was just the beginning of a wonderful week.

The following day Linny did a post that ended with links to a series called How to Hear God Speak.  Step one: clean your heart.  As I went to bed that night, I asked God to show me where my heart needed cleaning.  Honestly, I struggle with humility.  I think I'm doing a pretty darn good job of loving God and living cleanly.  I prayed to be humbler.  And then I prayed for God to show me where I was falling short (in addition to that pride issue).

He didn't disappoint!  During my time with Him early the next morning, I read Luke 6.  As I read, various parts of that chapter just LEPT off the page and hit me up the side of the head.

6:2  But some of the Pharisees said, "Why are you doing what is against the law on the Sabbath."

6:5-6a Then he said to them, "The Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath. On another Sabbath, Jesus entered the synagogue and was teaching.

You're right God, I have not honored the Sabbath.  Yes, I worship regularly with a body of believers.  But then I come home and work my fanny off getting stuff done before the work week starts.  My Sabbath is pretty much like my Saturday.  Oops.

6:30 Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your possessions back from the person who takes them away.

Right again.  Too many times I say no when someone asks me for something.  Sometimes I say no without even thinking about it.  Why is 'no' my knee-jerk response?  Sorry God, I'll start saying giving when asked - to everyone who asks.

6:37 Do not judge and you will not be judged; do not condemn and you will not be condemned; forgive and you will be forgiven.

Ah, there's that pride thing again and measuring myself against everyone else.  Yup, I could do a little - ok, a lot - less judging.

6:38 Give, and it will be given to you: A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be poured into your lap.  For the measure you use will be the measure you receive.

Got it.  You, God, have been so so generous with me.  May I be more generous with others. 


And finally came Luke 6:49: But the person who hears and does not put my words into practice is like a may who built a house on the ground without a foundation.

I read this verse and it was like underscoring everything I'd read up to there.  Put into practice God's word.
Quite a list of things I need to work at.  Gulp.  Thank you God for showing me. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment